THE FISHING REPORT
While Denton, Damar, Ricky, John and The Preacher might be dining well, I thought I’d offer a little something for the rest of us:
RECIPE: MONKFISH CURRY
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped in large pieces
- 3-4 Tbs. prepared curry paste
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh ginger, diced
- 2 medium carrots, cut in 1/2 inch sections
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 5 small, new potatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 lb. monkfish filet, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil and sesame oil until the onions start to lose their opacity.
- Add the ginger, lemongrass, carrots and curry paste and continue stirring over medium heat for about two minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, potatoes, fish sauce and salt and whisk all ingredients together.
- Simmer on low heat until potatoes begin to soften.
- Add the fish, cover and simmer another 10-15 minutes until fish cooks through.
- Serve with rice.
RECIPE: Baked Mango-Ginger Ling Fillets
- ling fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- some dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- some mango chutney
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place ling fillets in a large, shallow bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, dry sherry, ginger and mango chutney.
- Pour mixture over ling fillets, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Place fillets in a medium baking dish and cover with marinade.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally with marinade, until fish flakes with a fork.
***For those of you that prefer to practice catch & release with Ling and Uglyfish, Saturday’s late night crew was pleased to learn that pizza can be delivered straight to the pier. -Jane